POSTED January 18, 2019
Protect Your Skin from the Harsh Winter Season
The harshness of the winter season, extreme cold weather and artificial heat indoors, compromises the hydration balance of our skin causing dryness, itchiness, and other skin problems.
Our skin is the largest organ of the body, and our outermost layer of protection. One may ask how to effectively protect our skin from the ravages of winter? The answer is simple, by developing a seasonal skin care routine.
Below is a list of few Winter skin care tips to follow:
- Seek out a skin care specialist to analyze your current skin regimen and condition to recommend proper skin care products suitable to your skin care needs.
- Adequate moisturizing is essential to skin health and natural skin glow and radiance. Winter moisturizer should be richer in hydration than the ones used in Summer.
- Exfoliation is important, however, one should exfoliate less during the Winter months if you are experiencing dryness and/or flaky skin.
- Facial masks are good weekly add on to your skin care regimen. Choose a mask with calming, hydrating and anti-inflammatory ingredients such as honey, oatmeal, St. john’s wort, calamine, calendula, green tea, etc. It’s 20-30 minutes well invested.
- Sunscreen is a must even during Winter. Moisturizer with SPF is not enough as we don’t apply enough of it onto the skin against UV rays’ protection. Physical sunscreen is recommended for full protection, it should be applied on top of moisturizer 30 minutes before heading outside and reapplied every 2-3 hours if you are staying outdoor.
- A humidifier is necessary for home and offices to add moisture into the air to prevent your skin from drying out.
- Dress warm to lock your own heat and moisture in.
- Drinks lots of water to keep everything working in your system. Proper hydration equals adequate lubrication.
So get out there and enjoy your winter sports in this fine winter season. Follow few of the skin care tips and your skin will last longer in the deep winter cold!
Posted january 3,2019
Maintaining a Healthy Routine in Colder Weather
With jacket and scarf season just about here, not to mention fewer hours of sunlight, it’s way too easy to switch into “hibernation” mode and put our active summer lifestyles on the back burner. For most, early morning runs are swapped for that extra hour of sleep as the thought of braving the cold is unthinkable! But it’s definitely possible to keep the good habits formed in warmer months, existing through out the cooler ones too. Most of us already have everything we need to stay active and healthy without even having to leave the comfort of our homes, whether we realize it or not!
Now more than ever, we have access to an infinite amount of resources (think TV and internet) to assist us on our quest to looking and, just as important, feeling great, all year long. Online forums, YouTube channels, Yoga, Pilates and Resistance Training are all excellent forms of exercise that require basic “equipment”, if any at all, and can be done just about anywhere.
For those fortunate enough to live in buildings with gyms, pools or fitness areas, take advantage of this luxury! Live on a high floor? Try taking the stairs a few times a week! Every little bit counts, you just have to be creative.
For those who aren’t afraid to face mother nature, no matter how harsh she can be at times, why not join a running group? Motivation can be found in numbers, you don’t have to do it alone! Skating, skiing, snowboarding, hiking…the possibilities are endless when it comes to staying active and healthy during the fall and winter months. As long as you dress for it, you may be surprised how much you enjoy yourself.
Studies suggest just 30 minutes of exercise each day is all it takes to keep that winter “padding” from making its annual appearance.
So get inspired! Find something you love to do and stay on track, no matter how hard it might be!
Before you know it, you’ll be swapping your gloves and hat for tank tops and shorts, and you’ll be happy you stuck with it.